Sandra Gulland: Q & A

Notes on the Writing Life

Pages

.
To see Sandra Gulland's latest newsletter, click
here.

Friday, March 14, 2008

About Louise de la Vallière

Why did you choose to focus on Louise de la Vallière?
Louise captured my interest because of her horsemanship, and the romance of her relationship to the Sun King. She was unsophisticated, a tomboy, from the lower nobility—an unlikely young woman to capture the heart of a powerful and charismatic man like the Sun King (the rock star of kings). How did this come about?

Most of all, I wondered how a young woman at that time would acquire such a high level of skill riding horses. Today she would be considered at an Olympic level of accomplishment.

There were so many unanswered questions. She is described as timid, something of a wall flower; yet how did does jive with her prowess on horseback? She was a daring horsewoman, a mistress to the Sun King, a Carmelite nun. The combination of these qualities intrigued me.

When did you first learn of Louise de la Vallière?
I became interested in Louise de la Vallière while doing research on Josephine Bonaparte. There was a biography of Louise published at that time. I was curious, so I looked into it. As with Josephine, I was swept away.

Initially, I wrote a short story about her, and then I decided that it had to be a novel. I began that novel after finishing The Many Lives & Secret Sorrows of Josephine B., but put it aside about six months later when I was offered the contract for the Josephine B. trilogy. I put all my notes, my initial drafts, into a box to be opened when I finished The Last Great Dance on Earth. Little did I know that it would be almost six years later.

No comments:

image